Monday, June 21, 2010

University of Tokyo CO2 Emissions 2009

As much as I would like to write an executive summary on the University of Tokyo's CO2 emissions inventory for 2009, I'm afraid my knowledge is not up to par. Thus, I will give you the minimum that I do know.
Using 2000 as the standard for comparison, the University of Tokyo had a CO2 reduction of 2,462 ton-CO2/year for 2009. Remember that the University of Tokyo is made up of 5 main campuses. Let's do the breakdown-

Hongo Campus: -2,360 ton-CO2 (reduction due to the introduction of the new heat recovery turbo chiller)Komaba 1 campus: -313 ton-CO2 (reduction due to greater energy awareness educations, energy saving stickers)Komaba 2 campus: 178 ton-CO2 (increase due to new computers servers and networks)Kashiwa campus: 401 ton-CO2 (increase due to new buildings built)Shirokane campus: -367 ton-CO2 (reduction due to the manual stopping of 2 of the 6 boilers)
I thought today's piece of information was incredibly interesting. I end with a sustainability tidbit about Cambridge. When calculating CO2 emissions in 2007, Cambridge was the only university to fill out the section titled "Farm Animals." What did it say? 900 heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment